Reply To: Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?”

Home Forums The Colonial Era Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?” Reply To: Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?”

ndembowski
Keymaster

Last time I was up in the Westchester County Archives, where the deeds are kept, I was told that the deeds were typed up as part of a WPA project.

Thanks, Zach and Tom for sharing the maps.  Great stuff.  I’ve never seen the Bolton map.  What book is it from?  On that map you can see how Broadway is a straight line but the Albany Post Road had to zig-zag a bit to stay out of the muck.  Just above of what is depicted on that map, the Albany Post Road went north under today’s Bailey Avenue and into today’s Van Cortlandt Park.  It crossed the park and went north along the ridge just to the west of Broadway.

The “Mill Runn” on the 1684 map is also interesting.  This is out of my geographic area of expertise but just under where it says “Mill Runn” it looks like “Coll Morris his land.”  I wonder when Morris built his mill.  This map shows the source of that stream near the Bronx River somewhere around where the Botanical Garden is.  It labels that stream as “Morrisina Creek.”  It looks like the Harlem Line of Metro North was built partially on that creek bed.