Reply To: Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?”

Home Forums The Colonial Era Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?” Reply To: Was the Albany Post Road earlier known as a “Mill Path?”

ndembowski
Keymaster

Yes, Zach, that’s what I think as well.  I was surprised how swampy that land was given its higher elevation.  Since this map was an intelligence map, they needed to know what were areas were off-limits for troop movements, cavalry, etc.  Eric Sanderson used this map for his historical ecology project and that’s how I first learned about it–from his notes.  When I first saw it, I was giddy because of all of the local history info.

I did a very rough geo-referencing of this map over a contemporary one that you can check out here:

https://kingsbridgehistoricalsociety.org/khsmaps/1781Clinton3/index.html#1781Clinton3/ol3

It’s not my finest work but it gives you an idea of where things were.  Use the slider on the top right to adjust the opacity of map layer.  You’ll be able to see the contemporary path of the Albany Post Road and the “Mill Runn” pretty clearly using it.