Reply To: Family Histories and Living in 19th Century Spuyten Duyvil

Home Forums The Industrial Era Family Histories and Living in 19th Century Spuyten Duyvil Reply To: Family Histories and Living in 19th Century Spuyten Duyvil

Wow Thomas – thank you for taking the time and sharing the maps and links. I find them fascinating and they help feed the imagination of what life in the area was like at the time. I appreciate now knowing about the NYPL Digital Collections. It’s also great to see the location of the school in 1868. To me it’s part of the broader immigration story in which immigrants like Hugh found steady work in America which allowed their children, first generation American, to attend public schools. By the second generation, my grandfather and siblings who came out of school post-WWI, they found jobs and careers as teachers, accountants and nurses after school, including the women.

One question – you reference a trip to the real estate office will help. What might I find there? Will they have resources to find addresses from the turn of the last century?

Thanks again for your replies, Dan