Reply To: The Area Around the Van Cortlandt House in the 18th Century

Home Forums The Colonial Era The Area Around the Van Cortlandt House in the 18th Century Reply To: The Area Around the Van Cortlandt House in the 18th Century

Thomas Casey
Participant

I was asked by students of PS 81, Robert J Christen School in Woodlawn about ghosts at the Van Cortlandt Mansion.  The students recently visited the Morris-Jumel Mansion in Manhattan and wanted information before they visited the Van Cortlandt Mansion.   Except for the strange and scary  gargoyles that adorned the VC Mansion,  I had never heard of a VC Ghost story.   Until I went home that night and started my research.   Sure enough….I found out that the ghost of Captain Rowe, of the British Pruicsbank Jaegers roams the house during the night of his death.  He was shot while on his last patrol by men of Captain Pray’s company.  He resigned his commission, in order to get married to Elizabeth Fowler  of Harlem.  His wounded body was laid to care in the Washington Bedroom at VC.  When his bride arrived with her mother, Captain Rowe died in her arms.   Part of the story can be found at https://books.google.com/books?id=E1A2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&dq=Pruicsbank+Jaegers&source=bl&ots=ZYRHrsVMSx&sig=eAWV05VXhfl9Y2vqyIsM_ClL8AM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMhPKMrsXcAhVLVd8KHXJzAxEQ6AEwAXoECAMQAQ#v=onepage&q=Pruicsbank%20Jaegers&f=false