Reply To: Kingsbridge Article with Nice Photos from Municipal Archives

Home Forums 20th Century Kingsbridge Article with Nice Photos from Municipal Archives Reply To: Kingsbridge Article with Nice Photos from Municipal Archives

I have been having fun exploring the 1940 Tax Photos. You may know that they were only recently made available for free viewing and downloading from the site. Prior to Nov 1 of this year, they were only available to view on microfilm at the Chambers Street archives or online purchase for $40+/- each. Although I have had success finding family residences in Morisanna (Elton Ave) and in other boroughs, I was not as lucky with the family residences in Spuyten Duyvil. Searching has been a challenge as most of my family lived in the area between 1867-1920 and many of the residences were no longer standing in 1940 and/or the streets changed.  The main address was 5189 Broadway (or 5189 West 225th) and it’s not in the collection. In 1914, one family member, who was a fireman, lived at 151 West 231st Street, near to the photo you posted above from 189 West 231st. There are a few other 100 West block photos as well, which are fascinating to see.