1 Riverdale Avenue

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

Does anyone have an historical knowledge of this wonderful building? Does it deserve landmark examination?

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Are you talking about the below image ?  It goes by numerous address over time.

It is not a very old building, I searched for the architect some time ago and came up empty

Thomas Casey
          Participant

1 riverdale ave

Thomas Casey
            Participant

BRONXBlock:5726Lot:670
              Police Precinct:50
              Owner:RIVERDALE PROFESSIONAL A

Address:   AKA   2775 IRWIN AVENUE
              Lot Area:7100 sf
              Lot Frontage:115’Lot Depth:81.67
              Year Built:1910

COGGINSS
              Participant

Yes that is the building. It may not be extremely old but it is 110 years. It is also extremely unique and given its location, it is the one of the first buildings you see when entering Spuyten Duyvil. Thank you so much.

Alan Lasky
                Participant

http://dcmny.org/islandora/object/nyhs%3A737

I don’t know anything about the history of 1 Riverdale Ave, but I love its appearance in these two pics.

The view is foreshortened. There is what looks like a newly constructed berm in front of it, but is actually a fair distance in front, and I believe is the best picture of the fate of the King’s Bridge. I believe the King’s Bridge is under that berm, which is Kingsbridge Avenue to the right and Marble Hill Avenue to the left.

The bridge where the photographer is standing is the former Spuyten Duyvil Creek bridge. There is no bridge there today, just a spot on Broadway just south of 230th St.

https://collections.mcny.org/Collection/[Plaque%20on%20iron%20railing%20marking%20site%20of%20original%20Kingsbridge]-2F3XC5893DG4.html

Peter Ostrander
                  Participant

Thanks Alan – great photo new to me.  While it  show 1 Riverdale building , even better it shows both the original Kings Bridge location and the historic plaque.  Spuyten Duyvil creek was filled in from the excavation dirt when they were building Grand Central. So the photo dates from 1911/1912.  The author and Bronx historian Stephen Jenkins tried to save the bridge and have it moved and erected next to the Van Cortlandt mansion unfortunately  he was unsuccessful in his effort for historic preservation.

The metal bridge over Spuyten Duyvil creek was used from 1899 to 1931.  When the bridge was removed the historic plaque was installed on the Marble Hill Housing apartment at the SW corner of 230th St and Bway on Spetember 24, 1932.  It was lost to most until the Kiingsbridge Historical Society and Dr Tieck ‘rediscovered’ it and had it clearned and reinstalled with a  rededication on June 25, 1955 where the plaque can still be seen today.  KB plaque rededicated 1955

A good source for the above can be found in the book Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Spuyten Duyvil NYC (the red book) by Rev. Dr. William Tieck.

Peter Ostrander
                    Participant

marble Hill w BB Field 1916

This photo was taken in 1916 showing a baseball field where today is the Marble Hill apt house on the SW corner of 230th and Broadway where today the Kings Bridge historical plaque was reinstalled by the KHS in 1955. You can see the old Godwin Mansion at the left with the copula. To the right you can see the small steel bridge under the IRT train tracks  that originally contained the KB plaque. Notice the old  trains running across the tracks. This bridge allowed access from the Godwin Mansion to the Godwin Island and further south.  If you’re ever in the area look at the steel columns that hold up the train tracks.  There is a large gap between two of the columns. It indicates the location of the long lost Godwin Island  that was spanned by the IRT trains when built back in 1905. We don’t know who won the BB game.

spabob
                      Participant

I seem to remember that building, back in the early 1960’s was the location for a coffee house. I remember going there back then.

Thomas Casey
                        Participant

After researching the architectural style ( Dutch ) of the  property at 1 Riverdale Ave / 2775 IRWIN AVENUE, I found that there was an interest in this style during the early 1900’s.  Many were built  1905-1910.  I fould a few examples and many or all were banks.  After discussing this with a friend, he remarked that he had heard that our Dutch structure was the payroll office for the Johnson Factory.  I have attached one of many I have seen from 12 Nassau St Princeton NJ12 Nassau st Princton NJ

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.