150 years ago, our neighborhood broke off from Yonkers and became an independent town. However, that independent status did not last long–only one year–before becoming part of NYC. According to the Yonkers Statesman the “freeholders” or large landowners got together at the Mosholu Hall on October 31, 1872 to decide what to call the new independent town, which included modern day Kingsbridge, Riverdale, and Spuyten Duyvil. The votes were tallied and these were the results:
Kingsbridge (23 votes)
Fieldston (12 votes)
South Yonkers (4 votes)
Interesting that “Riverdale” was not suggested for the town’s name but “Fieldston” was.