A Trip Down Broadway

Home Forums The Industrial Era A Trip Down Broadway

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

Love this film clip of a trip down Broadway from Yonkers through Inwood in the 1930s.  Great to see a trolley going by the Dyckman house:

The full video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJktlzPCK8

Couple of things I’m wondering.  Is that farming really happening in Riverdale… in the 30s?  Also, I am wondering where these houses were located.  Clearly on Broadway but where?  I don’t think I have ever seen them pictured.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Those houses were under the El on the Westside of Broadway.  It had to be South of W242nd and North of W23oth.

The El  breaks away from Broadway just after  W218th and few old houses north to W230th

Too Bad the camera was not rolling in 1783

on November 16, 1783, General George Washington and Governor of New York George Clinton reclaimed Fort Washington on the northwest corner of Manhattan Island and then led the Continental Army in a triumphal procession march down the road through the center of the island onto Broadway in the Town to the Battery.[25] The evening of Evacuation Day, Clinton hosted a public dinner at Fraunces Tavern, which Washington attended. It concluded with thirteen toasts, according to a contemporary account in Rivington’s Gazette,

Thomas Casey
          Participant

These maps show the only group of houses that match the three under the el, just South of  W.236th St. In 19151915 Map Broadway at w236th

ndembowski
            Keymaster

I think you are probably right, Tom.  I tried checking the 1940 NYC tax photo archives for Broadway in The Bronx and couldn’t find those houses.  They might have been torn down by then.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.