An Interesting Short Historical Snapshot of Fieldston

Home Forums The Industrial Era An Interesting Short Historical Snapshot of Fieldston

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

The other day, while doing research at the Lehman College library, I came across this interesting short article from the May 1928 edition of the “Riverdale News,” a local periodical predating the “Riverdale Press.”  The author shares his memories of growing in the area in the late 1800’s.

The school that the author mentions is described in great detail by Tieck in Schools and School Days in Riverdale Kingsbridge Spuyten Duyvil.  I wish that he named the book something different because it certainly has a lot more to offer in the way of local history than its very specific title would suggest.  I was also intrigued by the William Van Tassel reference in the article.  This is an old Dutch family that goes way back and features prominently in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow as well as Revolutionary War militia rolls for the area.  Tieck’s  book also mentions the Van Tassel family in the “Mosholu” section.

The above excerpt also names the Forsyth family.  I wonder if they have any relation to the John Forsyth that drew maps for the KHS?  Below is one of Forsyth’s maps that is featured in the Tieck’s School Days book.  You can see the Van Tassel and Forsyth homes at the bottom next to the school.

Fascinating first account. I love the part of the old gentleman who lit the gas lights. Does Lehman College have the complete run of the Riverdale News and if so, is it in a searchable form? It looks like it ran from 1915 – 1942. I don’t see it online at Old Fulton NY Postcards, Genealogy Bank or Newspapers.com.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.