Bradley Terrace

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

Does anyone know the original of the name of the Bradley Terrace step street?  I believe it was built for the Ironworks workers to get to Edgehill Church and Bradley is a family name associated with the Johnsons. If anyone knows more, I’d love to hear more. Thanks.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>According to John McNamara in his great work, “History in Asphalt”, Bradley Terrace received it’s name in 1927.  The NYC engineering department had no information why that name was given.</p>

COGGINSS
          Participant

Thank you very much.

COGGINSS
            Participant

UPDATE:  NOMINATION TO CO-NAME BRADLEY TERRACE:  MEMORIALIZING VILLA ROSA BONHEUR &  JOHN J. MCKELVEY, SR.

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Isaac Gale Johnson’s five sons — Isaac Mattison, Isaac Bradley, Gilbert Henry, Arthur Gale and James Wagner — entered the business in their youth after the plant was opened. These sons were to be known by their initials — I.B., I.M., and so on. In spite of the differences in age, all of the brothers got along harmoniously. They lived near each other on Spuyten Duyvil Hill.  His spouse was Jane Eliza Bradley Johnson,  BIRTH  22 Jul 1832  Sunderland, Bennington County, Vermont, Died   7 May 1906 (aged 73)Spuyten Duyvil, Bronx County, New York.  It would appear that the steps were named for their mother’s maiden name “Bradley”

Peter Ostrander
                Participant

Good Catch TOM !  – I was leaning towards the architect McKelvey and his family as builders many times name building after family members.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.