CHURCH OF THE MEDIATOR – Open House

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

This Sunday!

I’m not involved with this but thought it would be a great opportunity for KHS members to see and learn more about one of our most important historical landmarks.

COGGINSS
        Participant

Church of the Mediator - Open House

ndembowski
          Keymaster

Thanks, Stephanie.  I am going to try to make it to see the place while it is still standing.

A member of the congregation just reached out to ask a question: “Why is Booker T Washington depicted in the stained glass window of the church?”  It made me think of something you pointed out earlier, which is that Booker T Washington spoke at Edgehill Church of Spuyten Duyvil in 1915.  Construction of the Church of the Mediator began in 1911–so close to that time.  I find it interesting that two local churches have a Booker T Washington connection and it makes me wonder if he had any relationship to our community that I don’t know about.

Church of the Mediator Stained Glass Window–Booker T Washington on the right.
            ndembowski
            Keymaster

A couple of my favorite historic images of the church with Tibbetts Brook in the foreground:

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Booker T. Washington visited the Huntington Free Library in the Bronx, twice.  Mr. Huntington funded many school buildings at Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute (now Tuskegee University).  You can see his signature in our Historic guestbook.

ndembowski
                Keymaster

I went to the open house at the Church of the Mediator.  It is a truly impressive building on the inside but it clearly needs work.  The number I heard at the church was $20 mil. to make all the necessary repairs.  As you approach the grounds, you can’t help but notice how much greenery there is on the property–in stark contrast to the urban environment that surrounds it.  This is the view from Kingsbridge Ave.

Some additional views:

One of the Tiffany windows:

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.