December 2022 Image Contest

Home Forums Photo Contests December 2022 Image Contest

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

This uniquely shaped swimming pool no longer exists but it was once located in our area.  Can you figure out where it was located?

naparose
        Participant

Van Cortland Park?

Thomas Casey
          Participant

Looks like a 1960 ad from a real estate brochure.  Maybe Sky View

Peter Ostrander
            Participant

I have feeling that a pool in the shape of an R was never actually built.  But if i had to guess perhaps  Riverdale Neighborhood House.

ndembowski
              Keymaster

All of those guesses were in the right neighborhood, so to speak, but just a little off the mark.  I am glad I picked a tough one!  Here’s another view:

Peter Ostrander
                Participant

Looks like the Catskills on an episode of  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  I give up.

Thomas Casey
                  Participant

The Windsor South has a large pool or maybe the old Riverdale Y on Independence Ave had one ??

ndembowski
                    Keymaster

I have two more images for you that should help with identifying the location.  The brochure that showed the first image of the pool also showed this image as a feature of the property:

Quite a swanky establishment for our neighborhood!  And finally, I am going to pull back on the photo to give you a wider view, which should help:

Thomas Casey
                      Participant

Now Riverdale Manor – Broadway & 254th

julieabellhorn
                        Participant

An ad from the Riverdale Press in 1961!

ndembowski
                          Keymaster

Nice work everyone and good find with the ad.  The Riverdale Motor Inn seems to have been perfectly located–across the street from Van Cortlandt Park and the stables and a short drive from Manhattan.  I wonder what happened with that venture.  I never knew it was a motel until I found the brochure, which boasted of a “Suburban Atmosphere Minutes From Downtown New York City” and “Public Golf Courses, Pony Track, Horseback Riding, Boating, Tennis, Athletic Fields, Picnic Areas nearby.”  The site of the swimming pool and parking lot was a vacant lot as long as I was familiar with the area and a new building was constructed there within the past year.  That’s the old motel on the left and a building touting “apartments for rent” on the right.

Thomas Casey
                            Participant

I actually never owned the Riverdale Motor Inn Pool Postcard, had many others.Riverdale Motor Inn PC Pool

Thomas Casey
                              Participant

I actually never owned the Riverdale Motor Inn Pool Postcard, had many others.Riverdale Motor Inn PC Pool

Thomas Casey
                                Participant

An other postcardBuilding

Thomas Casey
                                  Participant

Thomas Casey
                                    Participant

Thomas Casey
                                      Participant

Thomas Casey
                                        Participant

According to an FBI log of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s August 1963 meetings with publisher Al Duckett (as told by Taylor Branch in Parting the Waters), Dr. King “managed to escape almost every day to the nearby Riverdale Motor Inn, where Clarence Jones had ensconced a writer named Al Duckett to help with crash production of the Birmingham book (Why We Can’t Wait).”Riverdale Motor Inn Key

ndembowski
                                          Keymaster

Wow that’s incredible.  Martin Luther King working on his book at the Riverdale Motor Inn just might be more interesting than the “R” shaped swimming pool.  Well done!

Thomas Casey
                                            Participant

Well….There was more to MLK’s stay at the Riverdale Motor InnMLK Riverdale

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.