Edgehill Church Windows

Home Forums The Industrial Era Edgehill Church Windows

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

If you have ever been inside Edgehill Church, you would not be able to forget its gorgeous Tiffany windows:

Before I started researching the building, I never would have guessed that the Tiffany windows were not original to the church.  It was the below undated photo that revealed that fact:

Check out all those small panes of glass where today you would see the outlines of the Tiffany windows.  I have to take a closer look but I think that all of the Tiffany windows were installed later by members of the Johnson family to honor deceased relatives.

The windows are just one beautiful part of this building but you could probably do a lengthy deep dive into their history.  Exciting stuff.

Peter Ostrander
        Participant

As of Dec 2 2022 the Edgehill Church of Spuyten Duyvil is now property of the Kingsbridge Historical Society !!  That early photo is very interesting and new to me.  I was down to the church to take inventory and measurements yesterday.  I took some close ups of the windows and hiding in plain sight is the answer to when the Tiffany windows were installed…1916. And as Nick mentioned  each have large brass plaques dedicating the windows to I.G.Johnson, and  Johnson family children by the dates given.  Each Window is signed  Tiffany Studios New York 1916.   And now we all know the rest of the story.  By the way did I mention that Edgehill Church is now the property of the Kingsbridge Historical Society, the oldest local historical society in the Bronx .  !!!!!!

Tiffany label 1916

ndembowski
          Keymaster

You deserve a lot of credit for this moment, Peter.  You kept the archives safe and the savings intact even after the first generation of enthusiastic members passed away.  Without those assets, there would not have been the reason nor the means to make this happen.

It is no exaggeration to say this has been a long time coming.  Check out this blurb from the March 1, 1956 issue of the Riverdale Press!

Article calling for establishment of musem for KHS

I wouldn’t say Edgehill is a “modest structure” . . .  but it will do!

Carol Bowen
            Participant

Exciting!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.