Indian Pokeweed – the Ink of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars

Home Forums The Industrial Era Indian Pokeweed – the Ink of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

COGGINSS
        Participant

One of our newest members, Virginia Arnold, is a naturalist. She clued me into the fact that Indian Pokeweed, which grows all over our community, and in the South and East, was used by Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers to write letters home to their loved ones.

COGGINSS
          Participant
            COGGINSS
            Participant

The link above does not seem to want to work so I created two screenshots of the article 

COGGINSS
              Participant

Dorothy Dewitz
                Participant

In November 2016 I went on a walk with an urban ranger in Van Cortlandt Park. The focus of the walk was Native American uses of plants in the area. Pokeweed was mentioned as being used to make a dye that Native Americans used on their skin.

Art Weisenseel
                  Participant

COGGINSS:  “It also found a home in Portugal, where port wines are very popular.  Berry juice became a popular way to make poor red wine look better with added color.  Once the ruse was discovered it was banned from the vineyard regions of the Old World to prevent this use.”

It’s still there as an invasive plant.  We just came back from there and walking near the Douro River I saw those distinctive berries and thought to myself “Geez, I guess there is a European pokeweed.”

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.