Interesting Agreement for 1500 tons of Iron at Spuyten Duyvil Foundry

Home Forums The Industrial Era Interesting Agreement for 1500 tons of Iron at Spuyten Duyvil Foundry

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

You may have heard of Spuyten Duyvil’s Johnson Foundry for which Johnson Avenue gets its name.  It was probably the most successful of the foundries on the peninsula jutting out into Spuyten Duyvil Creek.

Other, lesser known iron works existed there as well.  For example, there was the Langdon Rolling Mill, which I wrote about here.   Another iron works known as the Spuyten Duyvil Rolling-Mill Company, about which little is known, also lived on the peninsula.  Apparently, the mill was among the first to offer, “The first steel rails rolled in the United States upon order, in the way of regular business.”  Anyway, I found this order in an online auction.  It seems to indicate that the Spuyten Duyvil Rolling Mill was to receive a shipment of iron from New Orleans and deliver rails to the South Pacific RR in Saint Louis.  I would be interested to know the name of the signer.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Southern Pacific Railroad, one of the great American railroad systems, established in 1861 by the “big four” of western railroad building—Collis P. Huntington, Leland Stanford, Mark Hopkins, and Charles Crocker.

The Southern Pacific Railroad was founded  by a group of businessmen led by Timothy Phelps.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.