John J. McKelvey

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

Dear Members:

I am trying to gather information on Villa Rosa Bonheur AND any information on her developer John J. Mc Kelvey. If someone has a copy of Reverend Tieck’s book and there is any information within, I would appreciate taking a look. The book is out of print be and very expensive to buy. Any leads be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

ndembowski
        Keymaster

Hi, Stephanie.  I checked the Reverend Tieck’s book for anything on McKelvey or the Villa Rosa Bonheur and I did not see anything.  The book was published in 1968 so the building would not have seemed as historically relevant as it might today.  Another member posted that the building was designed by Robert Garner, who designed the Charlotte Bronte apartments.  So, I guess Garner designed it for McKelvey, is that right?

Getting back to the Reverend Tieck’s book, I would highly recommend it despite its climbing price.  It really is the definitive guide to local history with many amazing photographs.

Peter Ostrander
          Participant

Dr. Tieck’s book should be available as a reference book at the Spuyten Duyvil library or Riverdale Library. It  is usually not on the reference shelf anylonger as it has gotten stolen many times.  Usually if you ask the librarian they have it behind the counter that you can read while at the library.

Regarding information on the Rosa Bonheur or McKelvey’s I agree with Nick that while a beautiful and interesting designed building it was not very old. Especially considering that when the Kingsbridge Historical Society was founded back in 1949 or when the book was published 1968, it was a relatively new building.  Much as we think of  today the The Whitehal on HH Pkwy  or the Century.

COGGINSS
            Participant

Thanks to you both. I find it strange that there was nothing on McKelvey’s book in Tieck’s book since he was a major developer for the Spuyten Duyvil area, co-founder of the Edgehill church and chair of the Henry Hudson Memorial committee. I really don’t understand it at all.

Villa Rosa Bonheur may not have been very old in 1968 but it certainly is making history today!

Many people consider it to be the inspiration for the current pushback against overdevelopment in Riverdale, and of opposition to the zoning regulation changes to SNAD.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of time to spend at the library these days, and was hoping to find materials online. I’m going up to the Catskills over the upcoming holiday, and need to knock some of this stuff out.

Again, thank you both.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.