Kingsbridge Flood – December 1870

Home Forums The Industrial Era Kingsbridge Flood – December 1870

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I hope everyone made it through last night’s storm without great difficulty.  I have not surveyed Kingsbridge yet but, as a low-lying area, I imagine it could have been worse there than in Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale.  Before the construction of the sewer system, the area was very prone to flooding.  Below is a Yonkers Statesman article from December 1, 1870:

Thanks for posting this. Would you mind if I copied it and posted it to Facebook? Also, if anyone is interested in some pictures of the Deegan and the Van Cortlandt Lake, which is now a river, feel free to check out my public post on Facebook. You can find me at Tracy McGlynn Feerick.

The Deegan

The Deegan

Where the water came from the lake onto the Deegan

Van Cort. Lake (see bench)

Lake turned into river

Water rushing through park from lake

Van Cort. House stairs

ndembowski
        Keymaster

Wow, that’s pretty incredible.  This morning while walking to work I passed the mill pond in Van Cortlandt Park and the Department of Environmental Protection was there.  I bet they had just unclogged the drain as the water level was back to normal.

Sometimes when the pond overflows it turns up some unusual stuff on the ground after the water recedes.  In the past I have found ancient looking oyster shells on the ground after flooding.  Today I was surprised to see what appeared to be clams just south of the mill pond next to the path on the stone dam.  One of the clams was still alive.  I guess there are freshwater clams living in the mill pond.

Viewing 10 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.