Mystery Marker

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

A member sent in this photo and asked if anyone knew what this stone marker is.  It is located on the north side of W. 232nd Street west of Independence Avenue in Seton Park.

A group of us saw this marker while on the geology walking tour and were wondering about it as well.  It is across the street from 740 W. 232nd Street.

jbakerjonathan
        Participant

Could it possibly be a surveyor’s monument?

Thomas Casey
          Participant

The size is unknown and the distance into the park from the road is unknown. and the distance from the front door of 740 W. 232nd is unknown also.  but it was located on the Seton Hospital property.  Map of 1914 is attached.west  232nd st 19014 sandburn map

Thomas Casey
            Participant

Or the lot marker #54lot no. 54

COGGINSS
              Participant

It might be a lot marker for the Douglas Estate, as it not far from the Raoul Wallenberg Forest where the Douglas House once stood.

jbakerjonathan
                Participant

Would there be a way to superimpose a current map with the map showing lot #54 to give an idea of the relationship of the lot map with current streets?  I don’t have that skill.

ndembowski
                  Keymaster

Good idea.  Here is a link to the superimposed map (use the blue bar in the upper right corner to adjust the opacity of the 1872 map and zoom on the top left): https://kingsbridgehistoricalsociety.org/images/stone%20marker%20map/openlayers.html

I think it could very well be a property marker of some kind but it is not lot 54 in Hudson Park as shown in the map Tom found, which was apparently north of 236th Street.  This marker on W. 232nd seems to be on the property boundary between Judge Whiting’s property and James Hayden’s property.

We discussed Whiting a little in this thread: https://kingsbridgehistoricalsociety.org/forums/topic/the-hudson-river-and-railroad-illustrated/

Thomas Casey
                    Participant

The lot marker could have been moved from the Lots at 236th or its possible the lots on west 232nd were assigned similar lot numbers.

Thomas Casey
                      Participant

If you are walking North up Palisades Ave, you can enter Riverdale Park at W.247th Street.   As you continue walking north and 1 block before you can see the turn going up the hill on Spalding Lane, you will find a Marker that is not a Mystery.  Jim Vogt sent me the “Mystery Marker”  image.   W 247th Palisades ave 2020 

marker location  w 247

Thomas Casey
                        Participant

Plate No. 52, Part of Ward 24, E. Belcher Hyde Map 1901   –   MARKER  J.  D.   ( Joseph Delafield  ) Plate No. 52, Part of Ward 24, E. Belcher Hyde Map 1901

jbakerjonathan
                          Participant

Thank you, Nick, for the superimposition of the maps.   It gives a good understanding of the relationship of the earlier map with today’s reality.  Monument #54 is well-separated from lot 54 and remains a puzzlement.

Could there be government records of early surveying in the area of interest that might reveal the purpose of the monument?  Perhaps the survey of 740 W 232nd street might show something.  Streets appearing, moving, being truncated would need surveying I would think.  I wonder if  survey maps drawn when the Seton Hall grounds were repurposed would show the monument. Actually this sounds like a lot of work to uncover the provenance of a wayward monument.

ndembowski
                            Keymaster

I think it has to be a property marker.  It looks very similar to the one Tom posted for the Delafield property.  And I can’t think of anything else it could be.

jbakerjonathan
                              Participant

I agree with you, Nick.  I’m unfamiliar with surveying methods; are monuments numbered when there are many of them placed in order to easily identify them on a survey map?  I can see how that would be helpful.  Perhaps there exists a map with such a reference.  It would be nice to “nail” this down, so to speak. lol

Thomas Casey
                                Participant

It is great when you have any of the original survey maps, that I found at the Huntington Free Library, 9 Westchester Square.  We also wondered what that granite block was that we uncovered on our property.  Back in 1880 when the executors of the Van Schaick Estate ( his will ordered a Library built to honor his predeceased wife ) were assembling the various lots to be purchased  from the Adee Estate, the monument is labeled on the lot line corner.  When I find the picture of the monument buried in the ground, just like the others, HFL monument surveyI will post it.

jbakerjonathan
                                  Participant

Thomas, thank you for posting this picture.  However, I’m confused as to what it represents.  Could you explain?

Thomas Casey
                                    Participant

The red circle is the location the HFL  intersection of property lines and the location of a granite monument.  It is in fact labeled  ” Monument “

jbakerjonathan
                                      Participant

Thank Thomas.  The is a survey of which property?  The notations are too fuzzy to read.  Where is this property located?

Thomas Casey
                                        Participant

the original survey maps, that I found at the Huntington Free Library, 9 Westchester Square.  ( read above)

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.