Origins of Knolls Crescent/ Development & the Nane

Home Forums Everything Else related to Kingsbridge, Riverdale, and Spuyten Duyvil Origins of Knolls Crescent/ Development & the Nane

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

Does anyone have any insight?

I was told by a resident that it was built as affordable housing for returning vets after WWII, much like Stuyvesant Town.

But I love know more. Also what is the origins of the name which is so unique?

Thanks so much.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

John McNamara in his book – History in Asphalt: The origin of Bronx Street and Place Names state that a longtime Kingsbridge family named Knowles disclaim any former ownership of property but point out there was an estate “Cedar Knolls ” W. 246th – 253rd was owned by the Hiram Barney family in 1856 .  It appears the name is just descriptive.

COGGINSS
          Participant

Thanks so much Tom.

Thomas Casey
            Participant
              garrett
              Participant

I read somewhere it was F.L.Wright’s original site for the Guggenheim.

COGGINSS
                Participant

COGGINSS
                  Participant

Garrett, you appear to possibly beright. (although Knolls Crescent is in Spuyten Duyvil)

I wonder if Alexander Calder having lived in Spuyten Duyvil had anything to do with the possible choice of that site?

COGGINSS
                    Participant

ndembowski
                      Keymaster

Wow, never heard that one about the Guggenheim before!

I also wondered about the name.  There were a couple of places in the area with the name “Knolls.”  Hiram Barney’s Cedar Knolls as Tom pointed out, which stood on the site of the Ethical Culture Fieldston School and Grace Schmitt’s “Knolls just south of W. 261st Street near Broadway.  I doubt either had anything to do with the name of this development though.

More Knolls information from the Riverdale Press in 1951:

COGGINSS
                        Participant

I’ve got the fever: gotta figure this out.

That said, I live next door to the “Fieldston Lod_e” (sic), rehab center which has nothing to do with Fieldston and is not a Lodge.  So these developers pick these names, sometimes just because they sound fancy.

GodwinGD
                          Participant

Relatives who lived at 60 were disappointed when 555 Kappock was buikt, as it blocked their eastern view over Kingsbridge to Fordham.

See the Knolls website for details of their operation today.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.