September 27, 1909 – Dedication of the Henry Hudson Memorial

Home Forums Everything Else related to Kingsbridge, Riverdale, and Spuyten Duyvil September 27, 1909 – Dedication of the Henry Hudson Memorial

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      COGGINSS
      Participant

Monday, September 27 is the 112th anniversary of the dedication of the Monument to Henry Hudson, in Henry Hudson Park, in Spuyten Duyvil.  I have a downloaded copy of the chapter relating to the event from Google books. If you are interested in reading it, please let me know.

ndembowski
        Keymaster

There is some interesting information in the clipping you posted, Stephanie.  I am particularly curious about the Native American artifacts found on the Muschenheim estate.  The Muschenheim mansion was located on the current site of the Shervier Nursing Center property.  That was also the location of Revolutionary Fort No. 1 and apparently many artifacts from that period were uncovered on his property.  If only we knew where they were now!

It is worth noting that some scholars dispute that the name “Nipnichsen” was ever used by the Lenape to refer to our neighborhood although they clearly had a presence on Spuyten Duyvil.

On a related note, the following Riverdale Press article dated 9/24/1959 is in our archives:

bstein
          Participant

The Riverdale Press tried to drum up interest in a similar celebration of the 400th anniversary of the Half Moon’s voyage. https://blstein718.wordpress.com/?s=Henry+Hudson Not for the first or the last time, it did not succeed.

Peter Ostrander
            Participant

Today it’s unfortunate that the view of the Henry Hudson Monument is obscured by the large Schervier apartment building. If one is driving north over the Henry Hudson Bridge it is very hard to see the monument. Back about 1994 the Muschenheim mansion (circa 1840) was still standing. It had a bronze historical plaque celebrating the fact that it built upon the American Revolutionary Fort #1 built in 1776.. But mysteriously the plaque was removed and a large bush was planted covering where the plaque once was mounted.  When I asked the administrator of Schervier she had no idea what happened to the plaque. Funny how that happens.   Then the old mansion was wrapped by building material.  Again when asked I was told they were going to repair the roof and there was also an asbestos concern.  Months later the oldest home in Spuyten Duyvil and perhaps Riverdale was torn down and the society was not allowed to do any archeological investigation of the site.  Shades of the recent demise of Fort #2.  Unfortunately historical preservation has little support or interest in Riverdale.

Losing the mansion was a big lost but worse still was the fact Federal funds were used to help build the new Schervier assisted elderly apartments and destroy the Revolutionary Fort site. The site of the mansion is today a parking lot. Shades of Joni Mitchell “Don’t it always seem to go, That you don’t know what you got ’til it’s gone, They paved paradise put up a parking lot”.   Yes they did and the building today   blocks the view of the Henry Hudson Monument.  When I asked the then Community Board 8 chairman why the site was picked he was honest in stating they he had no idea that it would block the view of the monument.  He apologized and wish they had better information when the building planning was discussed.   Worst still was what I had found out later. The building was originally planned to be built further west. The land west of the present building slopes heavily downhill. If the building was built where it was originally planned it would not have interfered the view of the monument by not being directly behind the monument. But some in the community didn’t want the building down closer to Palisades and their homes. They had enough influence to have the building sited further east to Independence Ave. Where today it block a clear view of this historical monument.

COGGINSS
              Participant

Peter, I’ve become involved in the Stewards of Henry Hudson Park.

I saw where the sign had been. I’d like to work towards replacing it, on the park side.

COGGINSS
                Participant

ndembowski
                  Keymaster

A few more old clippings about the area around the monument.  The 6/19/1994 New York Times:

The old plaque:

COGGINSS
                    Participant
                      COGGINSS
                      Participant

Peter Ostrander
                        Participant

Stephanie – thanks for providing the link to photo’s of the Mansion. There are some very interesting photos not seen before of the mansion and grounds.

COGGINSS
                          Participant

COGGINSS
                            Participant
                          Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.