Spuyten Duyvil Stoves

Home Forums The Industrial Era Spuyten Duyvil Stoves

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

Here’s an interesting ad I’ve never seen before (1856):

I knew the Johnson Foundry manufactured ammunition, cannons, and their rolling mill produced rails for railroads.  I did not know that stoves were produced here.  The family’s foundry in Troy had been producing stoves before they set up shop in Spuyten Duyvil but I didn’t realize they continued making stoves at their new location.  Here’s a closeup of the “Spuyten Duvyil Foundry Stove Works” from the ad:

This is apparently one of the models manufactured here (same year as ad):

I would have imagined that they would have stamped “Spuyten Duyvil” on the stove itself but instead they used the address of their showroom on Broadway:

Johnfischer66
        Participant

So interesting- my g-g-grandfather worker there as a moulder.

spittingdevil
          Participant

Great find! And what a lovely illustration of the foundry. Didn’t realize the railroad used to have water on both sides of it at Spuyten Duyvil.

denisejery
            Participant

The picture with the railroad view from the Hudson, is that the rr that goes over the Spuyten Duyvil trestle?

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Found this ad with a little colorJohnson Stove

ndembowski
                Keymaster

I am thinking that image has to be looking east from a boat on the Hudson.  You are looking over the railroad causeway toward the foundry which was on the peninsula jutting out from what is today the “C” Rock.  There was still no railroad on the north bank of the Spuyten Duyvil Creek in 1856.  That line, the Spuyten Duyvil and Port Morris RR, was built in the early 1870s.

I think the view is from about where the red star is on the above 1868 map.  Many of the large property owners named on the map were the industrialists involved in the foundry work.  All the names mentioned below in this 1855 New York Times notice can be found living on Spuyten Duyvil Hill.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.