‘The Secrets of Inwood, Prehistoric NYC Neighborhood’ Webinar

Home Forums Everything Else related to Kingsbridge, Riverdale, and Spuyten Duyvil ‘The Secrets of Inwood, Prehistoric NYC Neighborhood’ Webinar

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I wanted to let everyone know about an upcoming event that sounds super interesting, led by local historian (and KHS member) Don Rice.  I always learn so much from Don’s presentations and I am looking forward to this one on April 9th:

https://www.nyadventureclub.com/event/the-secrets-of-inwood-prehistoric-nyc-neighborhood-webinar-registration-144951416589/

Can’t make it live? Register and get access to the full replay for one week! New York Adventure Club | http://www.AdventureClub.com

If you were to take a time machine back to 18th-century Manhattan, you would come across lush forests, rolling hills, an abundance of wildlife, and small Dutch family farms scattered throughout the countryside. While most of that rural beauty has vanished thanks to 300 years of industrialization, one neighborhood has largely stood the test of time in the face of a rapidly changing city.

Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the rich history and story of Inwood, Manhattan island’s most northern neighborhood that has managed to preserve much of its pre-NYC landscape.

Led by Don Rice — author, local historian, and Dyckman Farmhouse Museum Alliance Board President — our virtual journey surrounding Inwood will include:

Pivotal moments in the neighborhood’s history, from a Revolutionary War battle in 1776, to Eliza Hamilton and the Hamilton Free School, to the establishment of Inwood Hill Park
        The real story behind the ‘sale’ of NYC when Peter Minuit — director-general of the Dutch colony of New Netherland — supposedly purchased the island of Manhattan from the Lenape Indians for 60 Dutch guilders and some trinkets
        A discussion around the 1784 Dyckman Farmhouse, which is the last remaining Dutch Colonial style farmhouse in Manhattan (and one of the oldest structures in all of NYC)
        How Inwood’s ancient landscape remained largely preserved despite big real-estate deals, the street grid, and notorious urban planner Robert Moses

Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A session with Don — any and all questions about Inwood are welcomed and encouraged!

Definitely planning to attend that now that my schedule has firmed up.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.