Van Cortlandt Artifacts and Free Archaeology Event

Home Forums Native Americans Van Cortlandt Artifacts and Free Archaeology Event

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

On the walking tour that we put on a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that human burials were discovered on the Van Cortlandt Park Parade Ground in 1890 along with Native American artifacts.  Thanks to Julie Abell Horn, who was on the tour, I can report that the recovered remains are still in the collection of the American Museum of Natural History.

On the topic of Van Cortlandt archaeology, some may recall that archaeology teams from Brooklyn College conducted several excavations near the Van Cortlandt House Museum in the 1990s–finding thousands of artifacts.   The collection of artifacts is so large that they are still cataloging the objects and they are uploading photos here (click “view all” under “objects at this site”).

On July 24th at 1:00 at the Van Cortlandt House Museum, some of the Brooklyn College archaeology students will be presenting their findings on selected artifacts.  Click here for more information if you would like to attend this free event.  Here is one object the catalogue that I find pretty interesting.  It is a Dutch delft tile depicting the biblical scene of Joseph being sold into slavery and it was found in an apparent garbage pit near the Van Cortlandt House.

It is identical to another Delft tile that is still in the Van Cortlandt House around a fireplace.  Perhaps it was thrown out by the Van Cortlandts after it was damaged.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.