Possible Yankee Stadium Construction Site?

Home Forums 20th Century Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil Possible Yankee Stadium Construction Site?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ndembowski 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

ndembowski
    Keymaster

Here is another interesting shot from the photo archive that I mentioned in a previous topic:

The area depicted in the foreground is between West 225th Street and the Harlem River just East of Broadway.  Currently, it is occupied by a shopping center including a Target and a Marshalls.  The photo is entitled, “The Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum, Kingsbridge, Bronx, New York City, undated (ca. 1902-1919).”  This dates the photo to around the time that the Yankees started laying the groundwork for a stadium at precisely this spot.  I wonder if the construction equipment in the photo and the leveled area on the right are part of this effort?

YankeeStadium
    Screenshot from the March 29, 1914 New York Times

Reports on the construction, here and here, mention the presence of a stream or canal on the site that held up construction, which you can clearly see in the photo.  What I’ve never been able to ascertain is why the park was never built here after all the planning and groundwork.  Why did it end up at East 161st and River Avenue?  Instead, the neighborhood got the Kingsbridge velodrome, a bike racing stadium that burned down in 1930.  The aforementioned archive has a few photos where you can catch a glimpse of the rim of the velodrome here and here.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.