Reply To: Old Bridge Tavern

Home Forums 20th Century Old Bridge Tavern Reply To: Old Bridge Tavern

ndembowski
Keymaster

Thanks for an interesting post, Marty.  I love the line about “skilled ability in dispensing satisfaction!”  I have to confess that I don’t have a good idea of what the war years were like in the neighborhood although I imagine people felt the need to connect with their neighbors at places like the Old Bridge Tavern.  I know I learned a thing or two about the neighborhood from the old bartender at The Piper’s Kilt before it closed down.  Places like that help tie a neighborhood together.

It is an interesting coincidence that you should post this today.  Across the street from the Old Bridge Tavern stood another building from the Victorian period–the Moller mansion, which was built in 1870 and still stands at 3029 Godwin Terrace.  Just today we learned in the Riverdale Press that this building was recently sold and the transaction bears all the usual signs of a demolition/development project site.  It would be a shame to lose such a building 150 years after its construction.  I will have more on this shortly.

The Moller Mansion at 3029 Godwin Terrace