Comedy at Riverdale Temple

Home Forums 20th Century Comedy at Riverdale Temple

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I got a kick out of seeing the below article in the Riverdale Press (9/20/1951).  Henny Youngman was known as “King of the one-liners”–a comedy club and late night star.  Perhaps his best-known line was “Take my wife, Please.” Despite often joking about his relationship with his wife, they were married for over 60 years.

Henny Youngman on Ed Sullivan in 1969:

David Klein
        Participant

Nick, I just joined as a member and came across this post. An interesting aside is that at the time of Youngman’s performance, the Riverdale Temple congregation was meeting in the building that had been Ben Riley’s Arrowhead Inn—hence the address of W. 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway. A former nightclub was a fitting location for the performance.

Thomas Casey
          Participant

Ben Riley’s Arrowhead InnBen Reily

Thomas Casey
            Participant

BEN RILEY

jbakerjonathan
              Participant

From other photographs found on the internet, it seems that Ben Riley”s Arrowhead Inn located at 246th Street and Riverdale Avenue was a large building that had indoor and outdoor dining! Looking for it on Google Maps turned up nothing for me. I must have walked passed it many times during the 1950’s, yet I don’t remember it.

What has become of the building and the property?

David Klein
                  Participant

The Briar Oaks buildings were built on the site in the 1950s.

jbakerjonathan
                  Participant

Thanks David. Now I understand why I don’t have a memory of the place. I would head north after crossing over the HH Pkwy, going to the Presbyterian Church to attend the Young Peoples’ Society meetings. I had many friends who lived in Riverdale at that time and we would walk all over the area going to each other’s homes.  However, none of those walks required going passed Ben Riley’s Arrowhead Inn.

tmara2
                    Participant

Ben Riley's Arrowhead Inn as shown in the 1940 Bronx Atlas

tmara2
                      Participant
                    Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.