Ferris Wheel at 242nd Street – Date?

Home Forums 20th Century Ferris Wheel at 242nd Street – Date?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

The KHS account got a question on Twitter about the date of this photo and I thought I would crowd-source and answer.  Any ideas?  It might help to know when Broadway and the subway station were widened at 242nd Street.

Dorothy Dewitz
        Participant

NY Transit Museum website says 10/8/1908–

“Survey photograph looking south at the 242nd Street Station on the IRT West Side / Seventh Avenue Line, two months after the opening of the station. The photograph shows a carnival, including a ferris wheel and carousel, being either put up or taken down.”

https://nytm.pastperfectonline.com/photo/A209B96A-53BC-4279-BC14-748940256500

Dorothy Dewitz

Thomas Casey
          Participant

Yes….The line opened  August 1, 1908…There is a nice color postcard I used in my book “Bronx Views”…a  B & W in my book, Northwest Bronx.  I think it lasted to 1917242nd and Broadway Ferris Wheel

ndembowski
            Keymaster

Thanks.  Unless I am mistaken that is a carousel behind the Ferris wheel.  The below photo was taken in April of 1908 so it was a pretty quick turn around for a completed station and amusement park.

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Yes…and a band shell on top with a restaurantNorthwest Bronx - TX Casey

Former Pabst Van Cortlandt Park Hotel, partly burned, on the West Side of Broadway, 1924

I guess it didn’t last long. The photo above is from a 1924 fire.

Viewing 6 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.