Fuhrman’s Dry Goods – The History of a Neighborhood Store

Home Forums 20th Century Fuhrman’s Dry Goods – The History of a Neighborhood Store

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

Recognize this Broadway storefront?  Perhaps you can see the resemblance to the photo in the below article.

The following appeared in the March 1938 issue of the local newspaper, the “Riverdale News.”  See the note at the bottom.  If anyone knows something about the latter years of the store, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Another opinion article in the Riverdale News sung Fuhrman’s praises:

The first article mentions branches of Tru-form shoes opening all over the greater metropolitan area.  It seems possible there is still one around.  Apparently you can get a pair of custom shoes made there for around $3,300: https://sartorialnotes.com/2014/07/06/oliver-moore-bespoke-shoes-new-york/

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Now I am wondering who were the next door neighbors ?

Nice find

ndembowski
          Keymaster

It is funny you should ask that question.  Someone that visited the website recently sent the following:

my great grandmother moved into Kingsbridge in 1895. Eventually moving into 3805 Review place. My grandfather ran a speakeasy during prohibition where Tremont Paint store is now located. My aunt was in the first graduation class of St. John’s with my dad and his other siblings to follow. I grew up in 185 West 238th St. my parents moved into the building in 1949.

I really have no information on a speakeasy at this location but Tremont Paint Supply spans the Fuhrman’s Dry Goods building and the building next-door.

Peter Ostrander
            Participant

If ” a Picture is worth a Thousand words”  so what is  a 1/2 hour documentary movie  worth’?  A lot more.

There was a 1/2 hour documentary made about the Fuhrman’s Dept store entitled ” The Store Next Door”. It was filmed in the late 70s or early 1980s and released 1984.  It was shown on PBS a few times.  It really captures the essences of the Fuhrman’s Dept store.  My grandmother and mother loved the store ,as a child I didn’t.  This film captures the store and a time that has long passed.   I had made a copy back in the mid’80s on the then latest technology, a VCR.  I showed it at the KHS annual Christmas Party at Ehrings Tavern another great but long gone business in Kingsbridge.  As you will see there is a scene where Mrs Fuhrman is fitting a bra for a rather young and attractive woman.  I thought  the Rev Tieck and the other elders members would fall off their chair.  But all in all they all enjoyed this frozen in time documentary of their beloved store.  This 2nd Fuhrman’s Dept store  sadly closed in 1990.  Before the store closed I met with one of the  original sons, Will and his son David about the store.  David was good enough to donate to the KHS photos, and early documents of Incorporation and building plans,  detail building materials for the building on 231st.  If you have never seen this movie before – Enjoy.  If its been a few years give it another look.

Coincidentally the time period it was filmed was Easter time.  Only drawback is the quality could be better but still very much worth the  spent  for this view in the past.

Click on the link below.  If it does not work cut and past into your browser.

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Very interesting piece of history.  If they only had this equipment at the turn of the last century.  At least 100 years from now, Bronxites will have something special.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.