Gotham’s Only Licensed Woman Cabby

Home Forums 20th Century Gotham’s Only Licensed Woman Cabby

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I was reading Mary E. Kane’s “Yesterday in Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil” and came across this:

There was . . . a “lady taxi-driver”, Mrs. Celia Parry, who was once written up in the papers as the city’s first female driver.  During World War I she assumed the dress of a soldier, and her customers affectionately referred to her as “General Foch”.  Robbed once by a ruffian of something like $20.00, she came to and said cheerfully, “If the darned fool had looked in my stocking, he’d have got $150.00!”

The below clipping is from the 4/14/1917 South New Berlin Bee.

COGGINSS
        Participant

A fun historical tidbit!

Thomas Casey
          Participant

I wonder how the Author,  Mary E. Kane’s  in  “Yesterday in Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil”  knew of this story.  The only similar link I could find was a Bronx woman with the same name was divorced from Julius Miert on Oct 30th 1914Celia F. Parry

ndembowski
            Keymaster

Mary Kane’s book (or booklet) “Yesterday in Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil” was published in 1947–not that long after the newspaper story about the cabby.  So it may not have been such obscure knowledge.  The book was “prepared for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Riverdale Library” and was copyrighted by the Riverdale Library and Neighborhood Association.  I bet the author was the librarian there.

Peter Ostrander
              Participant

The Riverdale library and Neighborhood Assoc is the present day Riverdale Neighborhood House. It was founded in 1872 by Grace Dodge as a lending library for workers. Next year 2022 will celebrate 150 years.

spabob
                Participant

Has anyone scanned the booklet? Are copies available?

ndembowski
                  Keymaster

It was copyrighted in 1947 so I think that means it is still protected but I am not sure.  However, I could probably scan a few pages and post them.

It is pretty scarce but occasionally pops up on book selling websites.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.