Memoir and Kingsbridge History Essay

Home Forums 20th Century Memoir and Kingsbridge History Essay

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

A Kingsbridge old-timer reached out to me to share a local history essay that he wrote about the neighborhood and the research that he did on his family home, which you may recognize as 3121 Kingsbridge Avenue:

Here is the link to the essay (although it may not work on a mobile device) https://nrvoutdoors.com/3117/3117.html

It contains some great general history about the neighborhood as well.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Nick, Very interesting read….However, no where in this well written narrative is details of who the author is !  Just like Mr. ???   (Thomas G. Caceci  )  Mr. Thomas X. Casey  had to do some detective work.  First, I knew he was born at Fitch Hospital, since I had rare postcard of this Hospital that became University Heights Senior Apartments.  Fitch Hospital 123 West 183 Street at Sedgwick & Loring Place.  Looking up the deed of Sale for 3121 Kingsbridge Avenue in 1981 provided the Father & Son’s names1981 3121 Kingsbridge Avenue: deed

Thomas Casey
          Participant

University Heights Senior Apartments.  Fitch Hospital 123 West 183 Street at Sedgwick & Loring Place.University Heights Senior Apartments &  Fitch Hospital

spabob
            Participant

I thoroughly enjoyed the essay. However, I do have two comments: (1) I attended PS 7 from 1950 to 1953, until PS 122 was built. I thought there was a cornerstone for PS 7 that gave the date “1898”. The “new” addition to the school, on Corlear Ave., I believe was built in the 1920s; (2) The picture shown in the essay of PS 7 is not the way I remember it. When I went there the street must have been lowered since there were steps you had to go up to get to the playground.

Thomas Casey
              Participant

1ps 7PS 7 in 1927 & with the addition 

Thomas Casey
                Participant

ps 7

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.