New Article about the Hadley House

Home Forums The Colonial Era New Article about the Hadley House

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I created a new “articles” section of the website for longer pieces of writing.  My first one up there is about my attempt to solve the mystery of the just what is the oldest house in The Bronx.  Local historians have always thought that it could be a house in North Riverdale–the Hadley House.  The article is quite long so don’t dive in unless you are sitting somewhere comfortable!  I couldn’t resist writing about the fascinating history of the place that I learned along the way–which includes a skirmish between French and German soldiers.

Feel free to comment here if you’d like.

Dorothy Dewitz
        Participant

Very interesting; thanks for all the research.  I will go walk past the house soon.

Dott Dewitz

ndembowski
          Keymaster

I am not sure how many history geeks took the time to read my deep dive into the history of the Hadley House at 5122 Post Road but I just came across this clipping with some interesting information.  It was written at the time that the house was being remodelled by Dwight Baum, the Fieldson architect.  The Hadley House is another local building that I am thinking about.  While there are cars in the parking lot, there does not appear to be anyone living there.  The roof has holes and the paint is falling off.  It is landmarked but my understanding is that a building can lose its landmark status if not kept up.  Anyway, the article claims that the house is older than the Van Cortlandt House, which would make it the oldest in the county:

Thomas Casey
            Participant

It is always interesting to read various articles about the Hadley House at different time periods.  I also love looking at the changing views over the years.  Sadly, some images come to us without a date and we have to guess.   For all those novices out there,  try looking at google street views and then selecting a street view from 2007 or 2013 or 2020 .  Even during a short time period, many changes occur.Hadley House

Thomas Casey
              Participant

Hadley House 2

Thomas Casey
                Participant

Hadley Farm House

Thomas Casey
                  Participant

Hadley House 2018 & 2007

Thomas Casey
                    Participant

BOLTON – INDIAN PATHS THE ALBANY POST – ROAD , ONCE THE HUDSON … Photograph by E. F. Coffin 1922.  Note: The view is actually Southbound.

Thomas Casey
                      Participant

Maybe Coffin had it Hadley House by E F Coffin 1922right, but the publisher reversed the image

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.