New Memoir Published

Home Forums The Industrial Era New Memoir Published

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

I have just posted another memoir on the articles page.  This is a continuation of the series of articles that local resident, J.B. James, wrote for the Riverdale News in the 1930s remembering his youth in Riverdale in the 1870s and 1880s.  It definitely contained information that was new and interesting to me, especially where he noted that skeletons were discovered along the Hudson River.

I included an image of the “A E Putnam” estate on Spuyten Duvyil as an example of the “lawn tennis courts” that were popular here.  I figured that this house was somewhere southwest of the Henry Hudson Monument but I am not sure of the exact location.  There is another building in that drawing that I would be interested in identifying as well if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Thomas Casey
        Participant

Yes…There were many semi-pro and club baseball teams that played in or near Riverdale.   The Kingsbridge Athletics played many of their games at the Inwood Stadium aka Dykman Oval in Manhattanand in later years were managed by Columbia Baseball Coach Andy Coakley ( last pro team – NY Highlanders aka Yankees )  There was the Riverdale Surburbans that played at Crotona Park.  John Condon ( PS 12 Principal & Fordham Professor) was a first basemen.   He was at the center of the Lindbergh Kidnapping case ( An other Bronx story)  Kingsbridge Athletics

Thomas Casey
          Participant

Andy Coakley

Thomas Casey
            Participant

Riverdale Surburban Player

ndembowski
                Keymaster

Thanks, Tom.  Great pics and info.

And of course there is the fact that Kingsbridge nearly became the original home of “the house that Ruth built.” The Yankees started building their original stadium here in the neighborhood where Target is today.  They even finished building the infield there before a different site was chosen (where Yankee stadium is today).  We wrote about that here and here.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.