Early 1960s Memoir

Home Forums 20th Century Early 1960s Memoir

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      ndembowski
      Keymaster

A KHS member, Edward J. Rogan, was kind enough to share his memories about growing up in Kingsbridge in the early 1960s in his essay, “Errand Go Bragh,” which will be kept on the “Articles” page of the website.  I know that a lot of our members grew up in the area in that time so I am very grateful that he sent it to us.  Enjoy!

Dorothy Dewitz
        Participant

Very interesting to read, and enjoyed the photos, too. Thanks!

Dott Dewitz

mull0096
          Participant

Great article and fond memories…. As a side note I can remember the crowds that would gather for Confession at St. Johns and people would shy away from getting on line for Monsignor Scanlon as he was tough but my friends and myself knew that Fr. Flaratty had a hearing aid in one ear so we would get on the line for his bad ear. I think there were probably 7 Priest hearing confession in those days–changes happen.

enjoyed reading the article. brought back many memories. we are of the same “vintage” i grew up on review place near 238th st. i’m curious why you did not mention the “army-navy” store on 231st st. it was a great place to pick up surplus military mess kits, canteens, etc for boy scout camping.

It was great reading this article. I lived at 3133 Corlear Avenue, then because of the construction of Corlear Gardens, my family moved up to 3453 Corlear Avenue. My 2 brothers and I attended and graduated from St. John’s. We regularly attended St. John’s Roman Catholic Church. My brother who recently had heart bipass
            Surgery and likes to reminisce about the stores on w. 231st Street. Is there anyone who can shed light on the names of the stores. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My brother continues to need more surgeries. This is how I can make him stay focused.
            We can’t remember the name of the religious bookstore, the children’s clothing store, names of the pharmacies, the jewelry store, the ladies garment store and of course the candy store, next to mcGlynns.

ndembowski
            Keymaster

This is one of our most widely shared articles as many folks are thinking back to their childhoods in Kingsbridge in the 60s.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any photos in our archives of W. 231st Street in the 60s.  We do have a great one that I think is just a decade or two earlier though.  It is undated and apparently taken from the train platform:

Maybe someone who really knows cars could give this a date.  Zooming in on the north and south sides of the street:

Best of luck to your brother.

tommie230th
              Participant

The articles bring back memories.  I was raised on 230th st and attended St Johns Grammar School.  I remember Duffys . Butcher shop,  Moes candy store next to McGlynns and Ehrings Bar.  Does anyone recall the name of the soda fountain place on the corner of 231st and Broadway.  Thank you.

Fond memories…  Moes wasn’t next to McGlynns, it was next to the city stairs on 231st St. leading to Naples Terrace.  The candy store next to McGlynns was Paula’s.  The soda fountain on B’way and 231st St. was Ribners.  I grew up in 3249 Corlear Ave.

RD

jbakerjonathan
                Participant

On the north side of the street going up the hill in the blow-up picture, there appear to be a Studebaker Starlight, vintage 1948, and a Pontiac Streamliner, circa 1948. The car parked on the south side in front of the Riverdale Delicatessen appears to be a 1948 Buick Roadmaster. Further up, the car parked next to the lamp post facing down hill appears to be a 1948 Nash Ambassador.

There are two other (light colored) cars that appear to be postwar further up from the Pontiac that I cannot identify. All the other vehicles appear to be prewar. I would say that the photograph was probably taken in 1948.

Going further west on the north side of 231st, past Kingsbridge Ave., a little more than half way down to Corlear Ave , was a store that sold baby carriages and cribs.  I can’t remember its name, but, I worked there after school assembling things and cleaning up the store.  That was around 1952 to 1954.  Anyone else a DeWitt Clinton alumnus?

Tom Cawley
                  Participant

Great essay and pictures. I believe the soda fountain at 231st. St. and Broadway was named Loures around 1958. I not sure about the spelling.When it closed they opened an OTB parlor.

TC

tommie230th
                    Participant

Thanks for the soda fountain name (Loures) and the names /locations of the candy stores (Paula’s and Moe’s).  On the south side of 231st at Corlear Ave on the corner there was the public library and around the corner on Tibbets Ave. Bohacks supermarket was located.  On the north side of 231st right up from Broadway was Shelvyns Bakery (sp?) and I believe the bank on the NW corner of Bway and 231st was Chemical Bank.

Peter Ostrander
                      Participant

I grew up on Webb Ave by OLA in Kingsbridge Heights. When I was very young my mother and grandmother would bring me shopping down in Kingsbridge with my brother. We had no choice. The walk down was too bad but the street steps back up with packages was a hike.  We hit Buster Browns for shoes on Broadway usually at the start of school.  But their major shopping all year long was at Fuhrmann’s Department store,  They loved that store, as a kid I hated it.  The Woolworth’s toy dept was more to my liking. The main shoppers in Fuhrmann’s were older women buying house dresses, dishes, kitchenware, cloths and everything in between.

It was located on 231st St across from the Dale movie theatre and Dime saving bank, between Broadway and the Deegan, The original family store started in 1910 and later built this larger 2 floor building.  After it closed for business, it was replaced by a John’s Bargain store.  There was a central staircase to the lower lever in Fuhrmann’s. It was very long, wide  and steep.  I am surprised some older shopper never took a header down the stairs. I realized many years later why the lower lever was so deep.  Back in the late 1890s they filled in the tidal swamp along Broadway created by Tibbett’s Brook meeting the Harlen River at high tide. The basement was at the level of the this filled in creek, hence it’s depth. Actually, it was the same reason if you ever were in the RKO Marble Hill movie theatre and had to use the bathrooms. It was a rather scary walk down a very steep staircase especially during  a horror movie.  But not as scary as the old matron in the white lab coat who kept watch over all the kids in the audience. But no I never threw a flattened popcorn box like a discus, wasn’t me, as she shined her flash light my way.

I’ve attached a link to a YouTube made decades ago by the grandchildren of the Fuhrmann’s family.  For those of you who remember the store it will bring back memories. For those not familiar with the store I think you will enjoy as its well done and really captures the essence of what the store was like back in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.